Update 5.9 -> 5.10 and testing projects

User 9aa4619393

29-08-2012 15:24:19

Hi,

we are about to update IJC from 5.9 to 5.10.

We now have a number of shared projects, and I was wondering what is the best practice for testing and updating them. What happens if I open them with 5.10? Do they get irreversibly updated to 5.10, in which case users with 5.9 cannot use them? What if something goes wrong? I would imagine we are not the only ones in this position, it would be interested to know how others have solved this issue.

Thanks

Anna

ChemAxon 2bdd02d1e5

29-08-2012 16:17:17

Hi Anna,

It depends on which database the projects use. Assuming that mostly Oracle. In that case project gets irreversibly updated after they are opened and upgradedĀ in 5.10. Only way back is to have a good back-up of your data. Another option is to copy schemas in oracle and use copies for newer IJC version.

The best practice would be to make back-ups and upgrading slowly one by one during testing phase. IJC cannot work with older projects and does not have jchem table downgrade capability unfortunatelly.

If the projects work on Derby DB then they get upgraded in user local directory and shared project is intact until gets re-deployed.

Cheers,

Filip

User 9aa4619393

13-09-2012 15:31:30

Hi Filip,

we have now decided to take a copy of the production database and use that to test the upgrade. We will open the shared projects one by one with the new IJC version and if all work then deploy ijc to everyone.

This is fine for shared projects that are in Oracle. However there is no way we can test people's local databases. I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed that we don't break them? In case they break, is there a way to somehow get back to the data?

Thanks

Anna

ChemAxon 2bdd02d1e5

13-09-2012 17:41:21

Hi Anna,

The only way how to be 100% sure is to make backups. I understand that it is up to everyone to do it personaly if the projects are local, but the backups might be usefull anyway. Back to the issue... If something goes wrong the data can be usually obtained by ij Derby client.

Also I would recommend IJC 5.10.4 for final usage, it will be released the next week and provides several bugfixes.

I think you don't need to worry about the upgrade if it will be used only with 5.10 version and not older. Good luck!

Filip